How do I apply for advance parole?

If you are a foreign national granted deferred action or humanitarian protection in the United States, you may be eligible to apply for advance parole. Advance parole is a document that allows you to travel outside the U.S. and return without jeopardizing your status. However, advance parole is not a guarantee of admission or a visa. You still need to meet the requirements of immigration law and present valid travel documents at the port of entry.

To apply for advance parole, you must file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You must also submit evidence of your deferred action or humanitarian status, such as a copy of your approval notice or work permit. Additionally, you must provide a reason for your travel, such as humanitarian, educational, or employment purposes. You may also need to submit supporting documents, such as a letter from your school or employer, medical records, or invitations.

The filing fee for Form I-131 is $575, unless you qualify for a fee waiver. You can check your application’s current processing times and status on the USCIS website. If your application is approved, you will receive an advance parole document. You should keep this document when you travel and present it along with your passport and visa (if required) at the port of entry.

Advance parole is valid for one year from the date of issuance unless otherwise specified. You can use it for multiple trips within that period unless it is revoked or terminated by USCIS. You should not travel outside the U.S. if your deferred action or humanitarian status expires or is terminated while you are abroad. You should also avoid traveling to countries that are hostile to the U.S. or have poor relations with your country of origin. Traveling abroad may affect your eligibility for certain immigration benefits or relief in the future.

Advance parole is a discretionary benefit that may help you maintain your status and pursue your goals in the U.S. However, it is not a right or a privilege, and it does not change your immigration status or grant you any additional rights or benefits. You should consult with an immigration attorney before applying for advance parole and before traveling outside the U.S.